EV-D68 can cause mild to severe respiratory illness.
- Mild symptomsmay include fever, runny nose, sneezing, cough, and body and muscle aches.
- Severe symptoms may include wheezing and difficulty breathing.
Follow these steps to protect your children from EV-D68 & other viruses.
Children with asthma are particularly at risk for severe symptoms from EV-D68 infection.
Help protect from EV-D68
To help avoid catching and spreading EV-D68 you should always follow basic steps to stay healthy.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. Washing hands correctly is the most important thing you can do to stay healthy.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact, such as kissing, hugging, and sharing cups or eating utensils, with people who are sick.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or shirt sleeve, not your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as toys and doorknobs, especially if someone is sick.
- Stay home when you are sick and keep sick children out of school.
There is no specific treatment for EV-D68. Talk to your child’s doctor about the best way to control his or her symptoms.